Saturday, November 24, 2007

The true cost of health

I had an asthma attack yesterday in Belk. My mother was with me and it lead to a discussion about health care, because obviously my mother is concerned and thinks I need to see the doctor. That is probably true (no, definitely true) but honestly I am afraid to go. There is the co-pay, which with my insurance is $25. But what if there is something more wrong and I need tests? Those are not generally covered until I have met my deductible, which is $1500. Then there is the issue of steroids, which is the general treatment for asthma and which frightens me. But what if something else is going on? What if it turns out to be more serious and less treatable than asthma?
Oh, well. It is time to visit the doctor and take whatever comes.

No comments: