Sunday, February 17, 2008

Frightening Children

I got involved in a facebook discussion last night, and it was truly frightening. Of course, facebook is overpopulated with high school and college students, so that weighs into the naivete of the conversation that was happening. The original question posed that drew me in was whether the telecom companies should get retroactive immunity for cooperating with the warrantless surveillance of American citizen. Being the liberal that I am of course I answered no. They should be sued within an inch of their corporate solvency, as far as I am concerned. But I noticed that someone had started a thread that asserted that the "libs" answering no to the question had misread it. I started reading and ended up posting, and I realize I would never change the mind of the confused boy who started the thread, but I hoped I could at least make some of the other young people think about the issue. The reason I say it was frightening is because so many of the young people involved in the discussion were willing to give up their civil liberties at the whim of the president in order to be "safe", one even going as far as seeming to want the president to have total power. I hope they aren't representative of the next generation.

No comments: