Sunday, October 21, 2007

End of the day

So it is Sunday night, the end of the weekend. Tomorrow we go to our jobs and our schools, and being our weeks again. During the course of the day, if it goes like most of my days, I will once again hear or read a story about the health care crisis in this country.

There is my 82 year old aunt who came home the same day she had a colon biopsy, thankfully, because she doesn't have supplemental medical insurance.
There is my 8 year old grandson with diabetes and ADHD, who receives not state of the art care but minimum care because he has no health insurance, and to get it at this point would cost more than his mother and stepfather can afford.
There is my friend at work who doesn't get the stress test her doctor recommends because she doesn't have the $6000 to pay for it (and believe it or not, she has insurance, paid for by our employer).
There is a woman I used to know at work who has MS, and I don't know how she is doing, but I know that she didn't have health insurance at the time she was diagnosed, and that they lost their house this year.
The cost of one chemo drug for one year is more than my income, and to be honest, I couldn't afford to have cancer. I don't have savings to live on or credit cards. Health insurance has caps (check yours if you don't believe me) ranging from a couple of hundred thousand/year up to maybe a lifetime cap of a million. One catastrophic illness could wipe that out.
IT SHOULDN'T BE THIS WAY. These are small examples. Every day in your world, as in mine, you can find even more serious examples. Like my friend whose husband has been in the hospital for over two months, much of it in intensive care. Some friends had a fundraiser for the family, raised around eleven thousand dollars, but some of the medication that was given to him at the hospital cost 6000/dose. How do they pay for this? He has insurance, but that won't cover everything, and what happens if he hits the cap? Not to mention the lost work for his wife (he is retired, but takes care of their two small children).
When I speak of universal health care, I am not talking about breast implants for strippers. I am not ruling out that someone who has the money can get whatever private care they want. But if you think that government control would be the problem, who do you think makes the decisions now as to what health insurance will and won't pay for? Accountants, because insurance companies are publicly traded, for the most part, which means they are not in business to pay your bills, but to make money for shareholders. Would you want your fire department to operate that way? Your police? So that the less calls they made, the less money that was spent on them, the better? Health care should not be profit driven.

No comments: